Sunday 16 March 2014

Hungry Kids

My first top story on BBC Look North was broadcast this week. I found, filmed, scripted and edited it - with a few useful tips from my colleagues. The story is about a worrying social trend of our times, children turning up to school hungry having not eaten a meal the night before. A head teacher in Huddersfield told me that three children in ten are arriving at her primary school very hungry. Sometimes the children haven't eaten since lunchtime the day before. The school is one of thirteen in Yorkshire that is running a breakfast club supported by Huddersfield Town Football Club.

 

BBC Copyright

This is a good example of a story I found through social media. Before Christmas I brought in a story about a school in the Handsworth area of Sheffield that’s set up a foodbank because children are turning up to school hungry. I promoted our report on Twitter and The Huddersfield Town Foundation got in touch with me about the work they do. One of the schools they support is Ashbrow Primary which is where I filmed this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment