Saturday 6 March 2010

Blast Off

You will have heard that the BBC plans to close 6 Music and the Asian Network, but you may not know that BBC Blast is also going to go. Blast is/was about letting 13 to 19 year olds be creative in writing, film, music, dance, fashion and games. The project gave me one of my first breaks in the industry. I think it's a real shame that it'll soon be no more since it does give young people the chance to express themselves and be given coaching, mainly through the BBC Blast website.

I did a placement with BBC Blast in 2005 as an events coordinator. One of the highlights was taking all my disco equipment to the beach in Great Yarmouth and teaching young people how to DJ with my good friend Matt Willis.

And when I was 19 I was chosen to be the Blast reporter for BBC Oxford, covering youth arts in Oxforshire for the BBC Oxford website.

And this was my profile (which somehow, somewhere, still exists on the internet)!


Mark Ansell


Mark Ansell

Mark lives in Thame, Oxfordshire. He enjoys DJing, footy, and hanging out with friends - find out more about him here!



Over the next two months, Mark will be reporting on local events, bands and art events around Oxfordshire.

But before that happens, we decided to ask him a few personal questions!

Name: Mark (Thick-Boy, DJ, HB, Ansell)

Age: 19. A well-aged member of the Blast reporters!

Born and bred: Born in Amsterdam, bred in Thame. The perfect mix!

Interesting fact: I pronounce things wrongly! Mayonnaise is pronounced ‘my-onaise’ and margarine is ‘marg-arine’! It’s the Dutch in me!

Most embarrassing moment: Twas one day when I went to the library with my Dad. Book in hand, I went to the counter and asked the large lady serving me ‘Are you pregnant or do you just eat too much?’ Actually that’s probably my Dad’s most embarrassing moment!

Stuff I like: Most things in life. Firstly my family – couldn’t ask for more. Secondly, I love catching up with friends both young and old. I have a few very close mates dotted around the country who I don’t see enough. They’re very important to me – you know who you are. I really like meeting people. I get on well with pretty much everyone. I love DJing - Everyone going crazy to your mix is a truly amazing feeling.

Being at Uni in Sheffield chilling with friends over a continental beer is really cool. I love foreign languages and foreign ladies; it’s where speaking French comes in handy!

Lastly, I like Westwood cos he’s gangsta baby boy!

Stuff I hate: I hate to hate people…but I hate friends who you thought were your friends but who you realise couldn’t care less about you ie Betrayal. They’re not worth it. Wow that’s a bit deep!

Who would you date? I am very fussy. Brunettes tend to catch eye. Now, I know what I'm supposed to say here – a famous person who I’m never gunna get with. What’s the point? I’m good but I’m not gunna get with someone rich and famous! So, a girl I date has to be beautiful in appearance and in personality. And in the long term, someone who I can relax with and trust.

Who wouldn't you date? Margaret Thatcher.

Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark


2 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    Great story about your experience of Blast. I'm running the Facebook page campaigning to save the service - would you consider joining and sharing your story there as an encouragement to others and as evidence of how unique this service is? Here's the link: http://bit.ly/9Hh2gF

    Thanks,

    Carlton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carlton,

    Thanks for the comment.

    Very happy to join the campaign. I'll post the story on the Facebook group.

    Good luck,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete