Friday 22 April 2011

Sylwia Murder

I've been in Birmingham this week covering my first murder trial. Sylwia Ciapinska was a 24 year old Polish teacher who came to live in Burton to earn money to buy a house in Poland. Just two weeks after she moved to England, she was murdered by her Polish housemate Tomasz Sobczak.

The Crown Court in Birmingham is a long way from the BBC building called The Mailbox, so I decided to use my iPhone to record my report for the news bulletins, interview with the police and statement of the victims parents (left) and then email them back from the phone to the newsroom in Derby. The app, VR+, worked a treat. The sound quality is really impressive and it took just a couple of minutes to email back the 3 bits of audio. I'd recommend it to any radio journalist. Here's my bulletin piece, recorded on the steps of the court, minutes after the guilty verdict... Sylwia Court VP 19 April by markansell



As soon as I'd sent the bulletin report, I hot footed it to The Mailbox to do a live illustrated 2 way, or in non-journalism speak, interview with a presenter, for the BBC Radio Derby drivetime show from one of the studios. I used the audio I recorded on my phone as part of the 2 way...
Sylwia Court Drive 2 way 19 April by markansell

Before and after the days' events in court, I went to Burton to record a backgrounder (a report telling the story of what happened to Sylwia). It was broadcast on the Breakfast Show, the morning after the verdict and sentencing... Sylwia Backgrounder 20 April by markansell

It was a disturbing story to cover but nonetheless fulfilling - there is no more gripping a drama than in court.

1 comment:

  1. This is a dark and fascinating story. Not suprised the community is shocked.

    ReplyDelete