Friday 11 July 2014

Covering the Tour de France in Yorkshire

Reporting on the Tour de France has been the greatest experience of my career. For three and a half months I've been working as the Tour de France Reporter at BBC Radio Sheffield. In the week before the race arrived in South Yorkshire on Sunday 6th July I produced a nightly biking show called Cycle Heaven, including a programme on the downfall of Lance Armstrong which I'm particularly proud of. You can listen to it here.

When I started this job in March, I drove and cycled the final 26 miles of Stage 2 into South Yorkshire to recce different places where we could have our reporters. This was the start of planning our 8 hours of live coverage of the Tour de France on Sunday. Here's our BBC Radio Sheffield 3 minute highlights...


As I have accreditation in the press area for the Tour de France, I was able to do an interview with Nick Howes, Team Sky's Digital Manager, outside the their team bus, just past the finish line in Sheffield...


Straight after the stage finished I, along with a crowd of other journalists from around the world, huddled round the Team Sky bus, taking it in turn to throw questions at Chris Froome, Geraint Thomas and Team Principal Sir Dave Brailsford. Here's what I asked Brailsford...


What an incredible experience! Now I'm off to France to watch the Tour in the Pyrenees and Paris. I can't wait : )

No comments:

Post a Comment