Thursday 24 July 2008

Court

I've achieved two firsts today. My first report from court and my first 2 way (where you are interviewed by a presenter on a story). I've been working at BBC Radio Derby this week and I jumped at the chance of going to Derby Crown Court to cover a story about a bloke in Derby who worked as a driving instructor for 2 years without the qualification to do so! You can read BBC online's story here. Scroll down on the story and watch the East Midlands Today report - I'm in the frame next to the con man at the end of the report!

The sentencing was heard at 10:30 this morning and I scribbled like mad to get the judge and barristers' quotes down (you can't use recording equipment in court) - this was a day when shorthand would have been useful! Once I interviewed the head of fraud at the Driving Standards Agency Andrew Rice and attempted (and failed) to persuade the fraudster to an interview as he walked out of court, I rushed back to Radio Derby and turned around some bulletin stories, including this voicer one which went at 2pm:

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN, THEN CLICK PLAY

After that I scripted the 2 way, set up the Driving Standards Agency man to come on to speak to Ross Fletcher the drivetime presenter following the 2 way and then gave it my best shot:

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN, THEN CLICK PLAY

Freelancing really does give you the wide range of experience I'm after.

No comments:

Post a Comment