Monday 14 July 2008

Freelancing - 1 month in

I've been a freelance radio journalist for a month now and I've experienced a lot.

On Friday I found out that the bulletin shift is tough. After choosing which stories to run from the various sources at your disposal, you then have to script it to the required length of time. Delivering the bulletin, although very challenging, is only the final stage of the process.

I've been learning how to do the bulletin shift at BBC Three Counties Radio and did my first ever bulletin on radio on Friday:
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN THEN CLICK PLAY

Last weekend I did 'lives' at the Henley Royal Regatta for BBC Radio Oxford. Why's it 'Royal' and is it merely a middle and upper class affair? I found out when I spoke to the Regatta Archivist Michael Jones:

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN THEN CLICK PLAY

Then I learnt a little about Henley fashion from a group of fantastically dressed ladies:

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN THEN CLICK PLAY

The best thing I've found about freelancing is that you do a range of different jobs from producing programmes, bulletins, to live reporting, with different people in various parts of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment